7.10.2018

Artist Spotlight: Gisela Magdalena Moyer

While in Door County last week, Mike, Margaret and I stopped in Bailey's Harbor for an afternoon walk and stumbled upon a small art festival. I was immediately drawn in by the bright colors and textures in the work of artist Gisela Magdalena Moyer. I stopped to compliment her on her work, and she told me her story as a refugee during World War II. As a young child she and her family fled to Bavaria, where she "learned about life in her mother's garden." She later went to the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay and earned her US citizenship. She's truly an example of how art heals the artist and the community.





The texture of Moyer's work is amazing! It took all of my self control to not run my hands along her pieces. She makes the paper herself, then paints it with acrylic. Many of her pieces are paper layered on paper, to mimic a real garden's feel.


There's also tons of symmetry in her work that adds to its peacefulness:


 
 

When I asked her about the use of symmetry in her work, and she told me that when she's feeling the effects of her early life's trauma, she uses symmetry in artwork to draw her back to center.


I also love her sense of whimsy!


To learn more about Gisela Magdalena Moyer or to purchase her pieces, you can visit her website, or follow her on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment